Saturday 2 July 2011

What is Fire and Lights?

Do you know what poi are? What about a diablo? Want to become a suspension artist? Want to know what suspension art actually entails? Looking for a clown, juggler, off road unicyclist? Yes, you do get off road unicyclists, something I only discovered recently. What about a pyrotechnician or a hoopster?

I could go on; the list of unusual arts is as varied as the artists themselves are. The point is, where would one find someone who performs these arts and how would one go about learning the skills for oneself?

Simple answer, go to http://www.fireandlights.net/.

Fire and Lights started because I couldn’t find what I was looking for. I had bought a set of ribbon poi, but they did not really appeal to me, at least, not as much as the flaming kind did. But how was I to find the flaming kind, especially since I was not totally sure what they were called?

Eventually, I found some. They are amazing and I still use this original set on a regular basis. Only now, I have other sets too. Monkey fists, fire snakes, glo poi that flash, glo poi that change colour. I have a diablo and a magic stick that I can’t yet properly control.

Interestingly, as I started to source performance art equipment for myself, people started asking me for other things. I was phoned by someone wanting a unicycle, someone else wanted the chemicals to make purple flames and a complete stranger hounded me to find her a flaming hula hoop. One little girl was desperate for a juggler for her birthday.

I realised that there were as many performance arts as there were people wanting to learn about them. The problem is, unless you are part of the “in crowd” of performers, they are an elusive bunch. If you know a fire breather, then you know who to ask to blow fire at your party. If, however, the closest you’ve got to a fire breather is your uncle after his bottle of scotch, then it is not so easy.

That is where Fire and Lights comes into the picture. We are an online, world wide directory of performance arts. We have listings of people who perform, people who sell the products involved, and the places to go to play. There are entire communities out there that gather on a regular basis to practise, chat, swop skills and compare tricks. We will put you in contact with them.

So, if you are bored with conventional sports or have a desire to do something a little different, or have a skill that entertains others, have a look at the site. We are new, but we are growing. We are open to suggestions and criticisms, since the best way to develop is to know what people want.

Would you like to advertise your skills or products on the site? Simply fill in the online form and it is done. Are you looking for someone with a particular skill and can’t find him? Search the keywords, or email us and we will see what we can find. If your art of choice is not listed, let us know and we will try to make a category for you.

Fire and Lights is dynamic and interactive. Billed as the link between performers and their audience, suppliers and their customers, Fire and Lights is the place to be seen, flaming swords and all.

Skye Fyre

No comments:

Post a Comment